Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Virtual Classrooms (Technology in Schools)

I tweeted a link to a story by Mother Jones Magazine, a left leaning publication, regarding Jeb Bush's push for virtual classrooms in the future. The story addresses many of the problems that on-line classes have created.  For instance, students in a credit recovery program were found cheating on tests.  How were they cheating?  They used an iPhone to look up the answers.  Some students passed on the answers to others so they could pass the test.  In another class, "half the students were discovered not to even own a computer, raising serious questions about how they were completing all the work they'd supposedly done."

I am by no means a Luddite.  I enjoy using technology in the classroom when it enhances a lesson or product.  I do worry about teaching every student and having an accurate picture of the student's learning.  With cheating being "a chronic problem" according to the article, how can we be assured of student learning?  The other side will say these are minor problems that can be fixed, which may be true.  Computers will not replace good teachers.  A computer cannot teach the whole student.  Like Jerrid Kruse said on October 23, "A computer cannot tell a seventh grader the importance of deodorant."

Finally, how is technology impacting families?  There was a time in our history when parents played an active role in raising their children.  One family member stayed home or if both parents worked, a family member or trusted friend watched the kids.  Families ate dinner together and talked about the day.  Today, hearing the word stay at home mom or dad is unusual.  It is easy to push play on the DVD player or start up the gaming system to keep the kids entertained while the parent accomplishes other tasks.   I am guilty of this.  How will the children parent when their time comes?

2 comments:

  1. Terry - I share your feelings about technology. I want to give my students the best for the future, but I do not always see virtual education as the best option. I enjoy using technology but realize it has it downfalls.

    Families have changed, I am not sure what to think when I see a child with an ipad while parents are talking. Has as society of kids who want constant entertainment been created? I am not a parent and cannot say what I would do in the situation, but I fear this change may have negative results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terry,
    I have concerns with the technology immersion as well. I feel that too many treat technology as a "fix all" for public education. As a 1:1 school I am witnessing how some students still are not engaged in learning. Instead, they are on social networking sites or playing games. I think we all need to read the article about the Waldorf school in Silicon Valley not using technology and why. I am not saying it would work for everyone, but their reasoning makes sense. In the end great teachers/instruction can trump technology by itself.

    ReplyDelete